Sunday, July 8, 2012

Day 1

95 miles, perfect weather, gorgeous scenery, nice start.  We left around 6:15 today (Sunday, 7/8) in order to catch the ferry at Mulkiteo heading to Whidby Island.  We are off

Whidby is so pretty with gorgeous sights everywhere with remarkable vistas like these

  
Both of these views are just up the road from the Captain Whidby Inn which Alma and I visited several times, many years ago.  It was beautiful then and is still.  We continued traveling north leaving the island at Deception Pass


This is such a remarkable cut with the high walls and very rapid current.  Quite miraculous really.  From here mostly it was a move into farm country, berries and vegetables.  Lovely in a completely different sort of way.

Tomorrow is going to be a sterner endeavor; we take the North Cascade Highway 125 miles over two major mountain passes from Sedro Wooley to Winthrop.  Today was cushy, tomorrow will not be.

Overall, I am impressed with the other riders in this group.  All are vastly experienced in these sorts of things and many are, like me, rather geezerish (not quite so much as me, but getting there).  I'm pleased to be here and hope that I can continue to make it through.  I am cautiously optimistic but the rigors of tomorrows ride will reveal much.

No comments:

Post a Comment