Sunday, July 1, 2012

Training?!

Despite beastly weather (107+ three days in row), I rode a bit


yesterday

and today

I am never beautiful, but my gaunt, gnarled, soaking image in this pic demonstrates that it is HOT!!!!!  Because it is so hot I cannot say that I have been doing the miles necessary to prepare for this trip.  But all is well.  I am trying to convince myself that there is some sort of miles index that correlates in some way to heat/misery.  So, like the mythical 'heat index', I am using a mileage index in which miles ridden in weather over 95 degrees and 70% humidity are increased by some multiplier.  Thus, 60 nominal miles today and  yesterday are equivalent to 120 miles each day for a 240 total this weekend.  I realize that some may quibble about the accuracy and precision of this index but its my index and I'm sticking with it.  In short, my training proceeds well despite oppressive conditions.  Now with less than a week to the start of the PCT, I am free to taper.  Strict constructionists might suggest that 60 miles yesterday and today are themselves tapering but they would be wrong.

Stage 1 of the TDF today.  It was great to see Spartacus make the race at the end.  It is moves like that, that make him my fav.

2 comments:

  1. Dean, you are incredibly perceptive about the training/weather index. The multiplier is 1.872X. Bravo, you go man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNEW it. This is all the confirmation I need. Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete