Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 4

Today was supposed to be an "easy" day (89 miles, 4600 ft climbing), but it wasn't.  Once again it was beastly hot, local people seem to be complaining of record temps.  I believe them.  We left a little later than usual today.  At about mile 5 we began a 13 mile climb to a place called  Blewett where we turned off onto what was a veritable one lane donkey path.  It was, in a manner of speaking, paved, which is to say it was probably paved in 1937 and has not been touched since.  This was a trifle bothersome but much more bothersome was the fact that this mountain goat path climbed steeply (8-10%) for 4 miles.  On top of the earlier 13, this seemed cruel and unusual.  Still, I have to confess that the descent off of Blewett Pass was fast and fun.  From that point on it was a long treeless slog.  This exposed, hot ride was made worse by a 4 mile climb up to a ghastly windfarm at about mile 40.  The remaining 50 miles or so was unrelentingly hot.  Even the extended run along the Yakima River was made even less pleasant by the fact that river was deeply shaded and the road had none.  UGH!  For all that, I have arrived.  I am starting to think that I have a sort of accumulated heat exhaustion.  Even though we are heading to Mt. Rainier tomorrow, I am thinking that because of this exhaustion,  I may take tomorrow off.  It is not a pleasing prospect but it may be necessary.  I will review the situation tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment