Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Day 11

Diamond Lake to Ashland, 115 miles.

Awoke this morning feeling completely beat up.  Took off at the crack of dawn anyway.  Today was supposed to be relatively easier, that is somewhat less climbing with the day ending on a descent.  I suppose this is generally true but I awoke feeling so wreaked I was apprehensive.  This apprehension was intensified by the fact that the day opened with a 20 mile climb to Crater Lake

but the ride up was so interesting and attractive I felt a bit better.  What is so striking is the widespread effects of the collapse of Mt. Mazama 7700 years ago.  Yesterday were the lava fields miles away and today is the effect much closer by.  What was described as Pumice Desert

on the placard in the foreground is quite extraordinary.  The deep nutrient poor pumice field has largely prevented the growth of vegetation even now, 8000 years later.  But the effect is not uniform as the pics below show



See how I got my bike and myself in the pic?  I really there as well as here

Following the euphoria of visiting the lake and descending off the mountain the last 50 miles turned into a bit of a slog and my feeling of being beat up returned.  Now, frankly, I'm pooped and ready for bed (it is 8:30).

Tomorrow we enter CA and head to Mt. Shasta.  It is a relatively short day but with sufficient climbing to make it beastly.  I'm expecting the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment